International Students


East-West University welcomes students from all over the world regardless of race, sex, nationality, religion or socioeconomic background. U.S. New and World Report lists East-West University as having the second highest percentage of international students than any other comprehensive university in the United States. We value your interest in East-West and its programs and hope we can provide you here with the information your are seeking to make a learned decision to join the University. International students, whether currently residing in or out side of the United States of America should contact by phone at (312) 939-0111:

ext. 1829 Rashed Jahangir International Student Advisor

ext. 1824 Katarzyna Petek International Student Outreach Counselor

For more information and clarification of the issues presented here.

International students seeking admissions to the University must submit the following:

The international student’s application for admissions.

  • A non refundable application fee of $250.00 US dollars in a certifies check or money order made to East-West University.
  • An affidavit of financial support from a parent, guardian, sponsor or government agency covering tuition, fees, educational and living expenses for one year(approximately $32,750 US).
  • Original and English translations of official transcripts for high school or any college attended.
  • The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores, if available.

Here is a brief description of necessary forms, documents and fees included in the process of obtaining F1 student visa in your home country (interview in American Consulate required).


International students must fill and submit a complete application for admissions.The application could be found on the University website or can be obtained by contacting the foreign student advisor.All sections on the application form are important and must be filled correctly. Any section unfilled or filled with misleading or inaccurate information may jeopardize consideration for admissions to the university. On the application please be certain to indicate your name and address with telephone number, the term in which you plan to enter, your country of birth and citizenship, your intended major, and your date of birth (month, day, year). Also the list of high school and college or university, you have attended. Your signature at the bottom of the application form is required.


International students are required to pay a nonrefundable application fee of $250 US to the University as a non refundable processing fee. The fee should be paid by a money order of a cashiers check made payable to East-West University.

AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT (Proof of availability of funds)

A prospective international/foreign student is required to demonstrate Proof of Availability of Funds when he/she applies for F-1 student visa in or outside of the United States. USCIS (United States Custom and Immigration Services) Counselors/Officers at the local US Embassy need to be sure that the student can live in the US and pay his/her tuition without working. Proof of Availability of Funds can be demonstrated either by Prospective Student directly or through Sponsorship. A prospective student (18 years old or above) can provide a letter from the his/her bank showing availability of funds in the account under his/her name. The total balance of all the accounts should be larger than $32,750. The bank can be located either in the United States or outside of the United States, but the letter has to be either in English or translated to English by a notarized translator. All balances in the accounts need to be stated in or translated into dollars.

To provide Proof Availability of Funds through sponsorship, a US citizen or a legal resident of the US must fill out Affidavit of Support (I-134 form, available on line at: where he/she declares intent to support the student with the tuition, room and board and living costs. Form I-134 does not constitute legal obligation, but is solely a declaration of intent. The sponsor also needs to provide a letter from his bank, reflecting existence of funds (minimum $32,750, preferably in the savings account, plus $5,000 additionally for each dependent, like spouse or children). The sponsor also has to provide a letter from his employer (stating annual salary) or a copy of the prior year’s federal tax return.

In cases where parents will sponsor the student, they need to make an official declaration (a letter notarized by a Public Notary) that they will provide support with room and board, living and transportation; and they will also cover the tuition in duration of entire studies. Parents also have to provide a letter from the bank showing the current balance ($32,750.00 or above per student). Letter should be in English, notarized by Public Notary. Student needs to present her/his birth certificate as well.


Official high school or college/university transcripts are required. They must be in English. Transcripts form foreign universities must be evaluated by an acceptable US based agency ( ) in order to transfer credits to East-West University.


The TOEFL is not required for admissions at East-West University. However, students are encouraged to take the test and submit results for evaluation and placements. The TOEFL score for the East-West University is 65 (if available). All incoming students are required to take the University math and English placement tests.

Types of visas issued to International Students studying in the Unites States of America

F-1 visa

Nonimmigrant admitted to the United States temporarily to pursue full-time academic studies in colleges, universities, seminaries, conservatories, academic high schools, other academic institutions, and in language training fall under the F-1 category. This visa will be issues to the prospective student by an American embassy or consulate after a thorough interview. East-West University will issue I-20 form, upon the completion of the admissions process and payment of processing fees (mentioned above). The acceptance letter, I-20 form and affidavit of support and bank statements in original should be taken to the US Embassy/Consulate in the student’s country of residence so to request the F-1 visa. The passport should be valid for at least 3 or more years. The consulate officials will issue a visa if you can demonstrate to them that you have sufficiently strong family, social or economic ties to your place of residence to ensure your return after completion of studies. There is also a fee of $200 ( paid thru the website:, after the I-20 is issued, using ATM card/credit card), which the government charges for registering a new student in the SEVIS system (Student & Exchange Visitor Information System ).

I-20 Form

The official title of SEVIS form I-20 is “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – For Academic and Language Studies”. This form tells USCIS (United States Citizen & Immigration Services) who you are, where do you live, what would you like to study, how long your studies are going to take, and how you are going to pay for your tuition, room and board while you are in school. If you are granted F-1 status, your form I-20 is the most important document you will possess. Current form I-20 also serves as evidence of the legality of your presence in the U.S.

Once the student arrives in the U.S., he or she must continue studies at East-West University without interruption for at least one quarter.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact by phone at (312) 939-0111:

ext. 1829 Rashed Jahangir International Student Advisor

ext. 1824 Katarzyna Petek International Student Outreach Counselor

Office of Admissions, East-West University
816 South Michigan Avenue

For application and programs please visit our website

Ready to Apply?

Contact an Admissions Counselor.

Enroll Form