Financial Aid

Financial Aid

We're making College Affordable

College doesn't have to be out of your reach due to the cost. We’re here to help with one of the most competitive tuition rates in Illinois and generous financial aid packages. Explore below to learn more about the various types of aid and assistance that are available.

We'll help you navigate a course towards your dream degree. Our Financial Aid Department will administer and coordinate all the different types of financial aid funds from federal, state, private, and University sources in order to set you on a path towards success.

FAFSA School Code: 015310


1. File Your FAFSA Quickly

Financial Aid all starts with your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Every year, students who need financial aid are required to submit their applications. Most do it early starting January 1st in order to receive the maximum aid for the upcoming year. Rember to include our FAFSA school code (015310) when filing your FAFSA in order to have your results sent to East-West.

Learn More About the FAFSA Form

2. Keep Us Informed

Changes in enrollment, residency, receipt of a new FAFSA, receipt of a scholarship, or waivers applied to your EWU fee bill will result in adjustments to your financial aid package. Please keep our office informed if you anticipate a change in any of these items.

Applying for FAFSA 2024-2025

Learn more about how to create and use your FSA ID, as well as how to apply for FAFSA 2024-2025 and include East-West University when selecting schools that will receive your data.


Scholarships are funded by private donors, academic departments, or East-West. Based on need or merit, most scholarships require that you maintain a GPA of a 2.0 or better and full-time enrollment. If you expect to receive a scholarship from a private donor, please notify our office so your financial aid can be adjusted to reflect your anticipated scholarship.

Grants & Work Study

Grants are federal, state or institutional funds awarded based on need. Most of these funds are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. These funds are considered “free money” and do not need to be repaid. Certain grants may have additional eligibility requirements. If you do not attend full-time, awards will be pro-rated based on quarter-credit enrollment status.

The Federal Work Study Program is a need-based type of financial aid. The Federal college work-study program requires that the student apply for a job on campus to earn the funds awarded. This program provides valuable work experience and an opportunity to network with many important departments across campus or for selected non-profit organizations in the community. Please visit the Financial Aid Department on the 8th Floor of the West Building for an application and more information.

Federal Loans

These funds are awarded based on need, grade level and academic career. You must be enrolled at least half-time and must not exceed federal aggregate limits to be eligible. If you do not attend full-time, awards will be pro-rated based on quarter-credit enrollment status. Learn more about federal loans below. Before obtaining your federal loans, you must complete an entrance exam and sign a master promissory note by logging into

Private Loans

Students and / or parents can apply for private education loans. Private loans are available to help students and families meet the cost of attendance at East-West University not covered by other types of financial aid and / or institutional aid. The amount of the loan can be up to the cost of attendance minus financial aid and institutional aid. For more information regarding private educational loans, please visit

Tuition and Fees

Learn more about East-West's highly competitive and affordable tuition rates. Remember to file your FAFSA early in order to receive a financial aid award letter from East-West and determine how much, if any, out-of-pocket cost you will actually pay.

Financial Aid Tutorials

How to Complete Federal Loan Entrance Counseling


How to Complete your Federal Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)

Maintaining Your Aid

Whether a grant, loan or work-study program, every type of financial aid has specific requirements in order to maintain eligibility. Generally, all grants, loans, and work-study awards require a 2.0 GPA and a minimum of half-time enrollment in a degree-seeking program unless otherwise stated. Note: Scholarships have different eligibility criteria.

How do I maintain my financial aid eligibility?

All students must make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in order to be eligible for federal, state, or institutional aid. Each semester, the Financial Aid Office identifies students who have failed to meet minimum academic requirements. This standing may be different than the academic standing in your academic program. Please view the SAP requirements in the table below.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

Undergraduate - Associate Minimum 2.00 67%
Undergraduate - Bachelor Minimum 2.00 67%

To achieve satisfactory academic progress for Grade Maintenance, a student must achieve a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher at the end of each quarter of enrollment. When a cumulative GPA is below 2.0 the student is placed on Academic Probation. If a student fails to achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher after two consecutive probationary quarters, the student must meet with a member of the Counseling Office during the subsequent quarter of enrollment.

After three consecutive probationary quarters, the student may be required to submit a written request for continuance under the Immediate Achievement (IA) policy. A student granted continuance under IA must achieve a quarterly GPA of 2.0 minimum and cumulative GPA of 2.0 after three quarters or be dismissed from the University. In addition, students on Immediate Achievement must attend an Academic Skills Workshop during their first term of Immediate Achievement. A student not granted Immediate Achievement may be asked to leave East-West University for up to three quarters and /or attend another institution to demonstrate academic ability before returning, or be dismissed from the University.

A student who has achieved a quarterly GPA of 2.0 or higher in the third quarter of probation will automatically be entitled to enroll and must achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.0 after two quarters or may be dismissed from the University. Any dismissed student who wishes to be reinstated must submit an appeal to the Academic Status Committee.

For full details and additional information, please see our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

What if I drop all of my classes?

If a student drops to zero hours it is considered a withdrawal from the University. If you receive aid during the semester of a withdrawal, you will be responsible for returning a portion of your financial aid back to the University. Before submitting a withdrawal request, visit with your Financial Aid Advisor to review the financial implications of withdrawing.

Contact Us

Have Questions? Get Answers! Come Visit Us, Call 312-939-0111, or email us at [email protected]

Office Info

  • Location

    8th Floor, West Building
    829 S. Wabash Avenue, Chicago IL 60605

  • Hours

    Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Ready to Change Your Course in Life?

If you are a prospective student, continue your journey with us.