East-West University Facts at a Glance
East-West University is a private, not-for-profit and non-denominational institution of higher learning in Chicago’s South Loop.
Location: Chicago, IL
Founded: 1980 Enrollment: 1,170 (67% African-American, 12% Hispanic, 6% White, 8% Asian, 2% Other, 11% Foreign)
Religious Affiliation: None
Chancellor: Dr. M. Wasiullah Khan
Academic Calendar: Quarter Faculty: 75 (69% of full time faculty has PhD or highest degree in their field).
Student/Faculty Ratio: 15/1
Average Class Size: 19
Median Class Size: 17
Financial Aid: More than 90% of students qualify for Federal or State financial aid. FAFSA Code: 015310
Degrees Offered: Associate of Arts, Associate of Applied Science, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science.
Majors: Behavioral and Social Sciences, Biology, English and Communications, Mathematics, Computer and Information Science, Electronics Engineering Technology, Office Administration, Business Administration.
Certificate Programs: General Office Assistant, Medical Office Technology, New Digital Media Design, Professional Communications, General Studies Certificate in Behavioral and Social Sciences, Computer Engineering, Digital Systems Engineering, Computer Programming, General Business Studies, Accounting, Marketing and Sales, Human Resource Management
Scholarships: Institutional Academic Scholarship, Graduation Incentive Scholarship, Merit Scholarship, High School Merit Scholarship, Shared Opportunity Scholarship, Transfer Scholarship, Continuing Education Scholarship, Chicago Public Schools Scholarship, Alumni Association Book Scholarship.
Technology Facilities: Two state-of-the-art multimedia computer labs with 28 terminals complete with video and audio-editing capabilities and projection devices, 7 computer labs with a minimum of 20 terminals and constant technical support, library computer lab with 25 terminals. Full surround sound auditorium with video and audio options for student presentations and community conferences and activities. State of the art professional software includes MS Office Professional, Macromedia MX studio, Flash, Quark, and Adobe Creative Suite and Adobe Premier and Audition for video and audio editing.
Library: More than 26,000 volumes, 2,500 films, 150 periodical subscriptions, and 30 e-book reference sets, with access to catalog online. EBSCO and FirstSearch databases contain full text of more than 6 million articles from 5,000 periodicals. The East-West University library has an extensive collection of Islamic publications.
Support Services: Math Tutoring Center, Writing Tutoring Center, Wellness Center, Power Mentor Program, Brother2Brother Network, Honors Program (in development), Co-Op and Internship Program, Career Center.
Student Organizations: Black Student Union, Chess Club, Choir, Dance Squad, Latino Student Association, Multi-Cultural Student Association, Muslim Student Association, Performing Arts Group, Student Government Association, Technology Club, Alumni Association, Literary Magazine, Student Newspaper.
Intercollegiate Sports: Men’s Basketball
Colors: Blue, Red, and Gold
Team Name: Phantoms
• Founded in 1980, East-West University is dedicated to providing access to higher education with a global, multi-cultural orientation.
• East-West University is located in one of Chicago’s fastest-developing neighborhoods, within walking distance (less than a mile) from Grant Park, Millennium Park, Soldier Field, Field Museum of Natural History, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Chicago Board of Trade, Harold Washington Library, Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago Cultural Center, Buckingham Fountain, and Willis (formerly Sears) Tower.
• The Chicago Sun-Times has cited East-West University as the most affordable private college in northeastern Illinois for several years running.
• According to U.S. News and World Report Best Colleges, East-West University is one of the most ethnically diverse comprehensive universities in the Midwest.
• East-West University has received more than $10 million in state and federal grants.
• More than half of East-West University students are part of the first generation in their families to attend college
• As a Regionally accredited institution, East-West University’s Criminal Justice credits are accepted by the Chicago Police Department, Illinois State Police, and every other law enforcement agency in the state.